Umno’s Arif Shah mulls joining PKR, could become Penang DCM

Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) state government welcomes everyone to join the coalition, amid speculation that Seberang Jaya Umno assemblyman Datuk Arif Shah Omar Shah had been offered the post of deputy chief minister if he joined PKR.

However, Lim declined to comment on whether any such offer had been made to Arif Shah, who was the losing Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate in the recent Permatang Pauh by-election which saw the return of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to Parliament.

Lim was commenting on a report in the New Sunday Times today which reported speculation that Arif Shah was unhappy with the state Umno leadership, and was considering an offer from PKR to join the state government.

One of the two deputy chief minister’s posts is now held by PKR. The current PKR deputy chief minister is Penanti assemblyman Fairuz Khairuddin.

“Pakatan Rakyat component parties welcome everyone who wants to join based on the principles of justice, respect for rule of law, human rights, social economic justice,” said Lim adding that he was just making a general statement.

Lim also refused to comment when asked whether he was planning to replace the Deputy Chief Minister I.

“I have not received any report from PKR, as the DCM I post is decided by the party,” said Lim.

He added any recommendation for the position can only be made by PKR, the DAP’s partner in the Penang government.

In an immediate reaction, Arif Shah said chances of him joining PKR was still low.

“I have to discuss with Guan Eng first as I want him to feel comfortable. PKR offered me, they are welcoming me. But it is not an easy decision.

“There are many things to sort out and I have to face them one by one. Before my departure, if there is any, I will talk to the national leadership,” said Arif Shah when contacted.

Arif Shah added that it would take some time for him to make up his mind.

When asked whether he was offered any position, Arif Shah said: “That is not important, I need a platform to deliver my service.”

Adib Zalkapli
The Malaysian Insider
30/11/08

No comments: