Surendran ready to take up the challenge

By Teoh El Sen

PETALING JAYA: Though taken by surprise over his appointment as one of PKR's seven vice-presidents, lawyer N Surendran said he was ready to take up the challenge to change the Barisan Nasional-led government.

My aims are very simple. I want to see a country that is ruled fairly. I want to see an end to oppression and oppressive laws, and an end to all cruelty perpetuated by the government, the police, or whomever. I want to see a country that is free," he told FMT.

On Saturday, Surendran was appointed one of three vice-presidents along with Johor chief Chua Jui Meng and Sarawak's Baru Bian. Those elected to the post were Nurul Izzah Anwar, Tian Chua, Fuziah Salleh and Mansor Othman.

Surendran's appointment caused ripples, especially among Indian party members. Previously, Dr Xavier Jeyakumar was anticipated to get the nod to be the Indian representative in the party's hierarchy.

Defeated vice-presidency contender N Gopalakrishnan had also publicly voiced his displeasure over Surendran's appointment via micro-blogging site, Twitter.

"I was approached to consider a veep position and after some thought, I accepted. The appointment, however, came as a surprise to me and to everyone," said Surendran, 44.

Surendran was stoic about the unhappiness over his appointment, saying: "It's natural. I hope they will come around and focus on the main goal as the Indian community has real problems.

"I know this from the days I was a legal adviser to Hindraf. The problems facing the Indian community is something that really needs attention, but it has to be tackled in tandem with the problems of other races as well. I will help wherever I can but I wouldn't say I'm the 'end all' solution to their problems."

'I did not lobby'

Surendran denied an allegation that he was aligned to former vice-president R Sivarasa who many claimed had lobbied for his appointment.

"I did not lobby, neither did Sivarasa. There was no lobbying at all. I believe it was a collective decision of the party leadership. Sivarasa is a colleague and one of the best politicians and lawyers out there but that doesn't mean we are political cronies."

While admitting that he had never been active in the party aside from being an ordinary member, Surendran said that he has been a PKR member since 2002.

"I joined because I believe in the struggle for justice. I was doing my bit as a human rights lawyer and helping out the party whenever there were legal troubles.”

On his tasks as a vice-president, Surendran admitted that he did not know where he fitted in yet, as the first meeting has not been held.

"My aims are very broad at present as I don't know where I can best fit in. Anything I can do to help change the government, then I'm prepared to do."

"But the general scope of a veep is to carry out the policies of the three parties within Pakatan Rakyat – to push, promote and carry out programmes for the party.

"And in an even more general manner my task would be to fight to remove oppressive laws and create a more balanced playing field for all Malaysians.”

A candidate in the next GE?

On whether he would be open to the idea of being a candidate in the next general election, Surendran, whose name was mentioned as a potential candidate in the last Bukit Selambau by-election, said he would "cross the bridge when I reach it”.

"I would have to think hard about it but if it helps change things, and if I'm needed, then yes, I would go for it. If there are more able and better candidates, then I'm fine with that too."

He conceded that his appointment would be "more taxing" for him as he would have less time for his legal practice and must to find time to juggle both jobs.

Surendran is widely known for his involvement in several high-profile cases such as the deaths in custody of Francis Udayapan and A Kugan, as well as in the fatal shooting of Aminulrasyid Amzah.

He also represented private investigator P Balasubramaniam's nephew when the former went missing in 2008.

He said he had started his activism in 1998 during the “reformasi” period and had represented many of those arrested for gathering peacefully.

Surendran is also actively involved in several NGOs, including Malaysia Animal Rights Society, Malaysian Against Death Penalty and Torture and Malaysians Against Discrimination of the Disabled and Lawyers for Liberty.

He said he would continue with his NGO works as they were consistent with the ideals of PKR and Pakatan.

"When I told my family about my appointment, my mother asked me: 'Are you sure you want to get into all this?' But my family members were all supportive."

"I know there's a perception that politics is dirty, sleazy, and that politicians are out for themselves. But ultimately, it is a means to improve the life of the nation. It's a genuinely high calling. I don't think anyone who is out for themselves should enter politics."

Better governance

Surendran's philosophy in life? "Before I die I want to know that I have helped my fellow men. I take pleasure and satisfaction when I have helped someone who is a victim of injustice."

"I hope to make a real change and contribute towards the goal of reforming the institutions in the country... towards better governance. With political freedom, we will have economic freedom.

"And with that, we can then question decisions by the government to improve our condition. I want a free press, an end to all cruelties, and a functioning democracy that is based on solid political discourse that is seen in Western countries."

"l hope this country can move away from parochial views of race and religion. These are all the things I cherish and have fought all this while. It is consistent with my struggle," he said.

No comments: