Sivarasa: Opposition all set to show up BN

It took new Subang member of parliament R Sivarasa a moment to remember when he had last entered the Parliament building, but he broke into a wide smile at the thought of going in now as a wakil rakyat.

“I’ve only entered (the premises) for (lobbying related to) activism, probably for Bersih (the Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections) a number of times,” he recalled.

In the just-concluded 12th general election, PKR vice-president Sivarasa defeated S Murugesan of Barisan Nasional by 6,709 votes.

Opposition candidates grabbed 82 of the 222 parliament seats, which also led to BN’s biggest election setback in history.

Met today at the party headquarters in Kuala Lumpur, Sivarasa, 52, responded to questions about his election campaign and plans ahead.

Malaysiakini: Describe your feelings about winning the elections?
Sivarasa: I feel great. It is wonderful, exhilarating and at the same time, humbling, that we are now entrusted with such responsibility, but at the same time it’s very exciting. We asked the rakyat for a mandate and they have given (it to) us. So it is up to us to deliver, work hard and responsibly.

I expect we will make mistakes but I think if we are transparent and honest, the rakyat will forgive our mistakes. We cannot deliver at Parliament level because we are still an opposition, (although) no doubt a substantial opposition. We will speak of course for the rakyat.

We will raise issues (ranging from) the ISA (Internal Security Act) to the economy to social welfare and the environment and so on. But we can’t deliver policies at federal level because we’re the opposition. But in the five state governments, we can. So we can start by immediately implementing transparent, open governance, and zero tolerance for corruption, especially at the local government level.

That is where we will start demonstrating to the people the massive difference between our form of governance and that of the BN.

What was the 13-day campaign period like?
Tiring. Today is Wednesday I think it was only this morning when I woke up, that I didn’t feel tiredness in my bones and in my mind. We have hardly slept - only a few hours every night. And of course after two weeks, it takes a toll on the body. But it was a wonderful experience because, especially in Subang I had hundreds of people coming to volunteer their help and to push the campaign along.

Since you are now a parliamentarian, what will happen to your legal career?
Oh no, that’s fine [...] Being an MP is not a full-time position, it’s a part-time thing. It’s an honorary position. It is not (an) executive (position). So I have to carry on (with my legal career).

State assemblypersons nominated to the executive council have to give up their full-time profession. The rest of us carry on. (In fact) I’m going to my office after this (laughs).

The local arts scene openly came out to voice support for you. What do you feel about this and about getting all sorts of different people interested in the elections?

That was the fascinating thing about the campaign in Subang but I’m sure it was the same elsewhere. But in my case, there was a wide range of people who came forward and this artists’ group was fantastic. They raised money. Some of them sold their personal works by auction to raise money for my campaign and I was very humbled by that show of support.

Professional and ordinary people (also) did everything from putting up posters and flags to writing my press statements and organising my website. I’m sure (Batu MP) Tian Chua had the same support (and that) all our MPs had a wide outpouring of support. We couldn’t have won without this.

When was the last time you entered the Parliament building?
I’ve only entered (the premises) for (lobbying related to) activism, probably for Bersih (the Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections) a number of times.

So how do feel about entering the Dewan Rakyat as a MP?
(Smiles) It’s a good feeling. (Laughs) It’s a great feeling. At the same time I’m going to welcome activists who are going to come in as activists and I’m going to encourage them to continue doing so. I’m playing a different role, but they must continue playing their role (as activists).

What main issues will you raise in Parliament?
What we consider as key concerns, I would start with the issues like the ISA and release of the five Hindraf detainees.

I have an immediate environmental issue to raise because in my campaign, the protection of the forest reserve in Kota Damansara was brought up. I have to bring it up, not just at Parliament but to carry that issue back to my colleagues in the Selangor state assembly to ensure that that forest is protected permanently.

I will help with drafting whatever laws are necessary but that will be taken care of at the Selangor level where we have a majority. Those are immediate concerns. I also have to address immediate issues in Subang like housing, because there are several communities in terrible shape and housing projects which have been abandoned.

Again, I will take all these issues back to the Selangor government to resolve them. We will handle the bigger issues as well.

What are your thoughts on a possible merger or a pact between DAP, PAS and PKR to form an ‘alternative government’?
Actually, everybody is working together right now. It is not a formal coalition but a de facto working coalition. We’re not worried about structures and things like that, we have already gotten down to work.

The fact that the three parties have cooperated in setting up the Selangor, Penang and Perak state governments is already a clear demonstration of that. Whether it gets more formal remains to be seen but, at this stage, I don’t even see the necessity for that.

What’s important is that we’re able to meet at the same table, which we are doing right now. We’re discussing the key issues and acting as a government. That’s more important than having a structure with a chairman and so on. I think we may not even need to worry about that.

No comments: