Ex-Hindraf leader lands KSSB director post

KUALA LUMPUR: Former Hindraf leader V Ganabatirau has been appointed as the director of Selangor state-owned sand mining company Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd (KSSB).

Contacted today, the lawyer told FMT that he was surprised by his appointment, which he came to know after he returned from a trip to India two days ago.

“I am still in shock. I don't think I am in a position to comment even on my job scope right now as I am still digesting the news,” he said.

“I wasn't told the reason behind my appointment but I believe it is based on my Hindraf's services, my legal background and my prior experience in a housing development company,” added the DAP member.

The former Internal Security Act (ISA) detainee said he appreciated the trust Selangor Menteri Besar Khalid Ibrahim and DAP have placed in him to set KSSB's house in order.

Ganabatirau revealed that he had an unofficial meeting with KSSB's executive director Ramli Abdul Majed.

“I still haven't met the other two (new) directors. In fact, I don't even know who they are. But I need time to better familiarise myself with KSSB and its business before having a meeting,” he said.

KSSB landed in the spotlight after PKR's Kapar MP S Manikavasagm accused the company's officials of corrupt practices.

The allegation paved the way for a three-day public inquiry conducted by the Select Committee on Competency, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat).

Selcat concluded that KSSB faced mismanagement issues but found no evidence of corruption.

Manikavasagam: Ganabatirau is the right choice

Meanwhile, Manikavasagam has pledged his full support to the three new KSSB directors, particularly Ganabatirau, whom he described as a “very close friend”.

“All three are under the Pakatan Rakyat banner and I'm ready to assist them in any way. I will back whoever is appointed as long as they cleanse KSSB of corruption,” he said.

The Kapar MP commended Khalid for picking Ganabatirau as the latter is a “fighter”.

“Both of us have worked on many corruption cases and I am confident that he will be able to do what is necessary in KSSB,” he said.

Ganabatirau has pledged to consult Manikavasagam soon to gather the latter's input and help regarding KSSB.

Ganabatirau was recently overlooked for a senator position reportedly due to lack of confidence among DAP party members.

The KSSB appointment is believed to be a gesture of recognition by DAP for his services.

FMT
24/06/10

No comments: